Thursday, November 13

24 Hour Playdate

Darla spent the night at her friend Madi's.. . . so was missin' my girl.
Madi's brother Parker spent the night here with Elijah & Nolan. . . . . and let's say all these males were enjoying "sister-free" time. Our home was transformed into an indoor play structure - gym - zoo maybe?! I allowed it . . . that was the funny thing about it. I let the boys move the 3 sofas closer to the coffee table in the center of the room & leap from furniture to furniture. They were calling their game "Stupid Bird" . . . and I suggested changing it to "Silly Bird" and they did. They would call out "Silly Bird" as they would fling themselves belly 1st onto a sofa laughing hysterically. No injuries - phew!!!
This 24 hour playdate was different in that they incorporated me in ALL their plans. I had hopes of intermittently getting different projects/chores done . . . but it was hard to complete anything. We were playing Jenga (stacking blocks & you remove one piece at a time from the tower) which was amazing how age appropriate that game ended up being for the 4-6 crowd. The boys played tons of other games like the 80's era "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em" the boxing ring - knock the opponents head off. This involved intense drewling 4-6 yr olds growling at me "Im gonna knock your head off!!!" (Gee thanks-cant get any love here) Of course there were a good dozen different giant 4x4's & race cars zooming thru the house - constantly zipping around my feet. Apparently my floor space was usually the best stunt driving terraine.
No outdoor play because of the torrential rain pouring down. I think these boys may have watched 1 cartoon - that is one 30 minute interval of peace / quiet play. I really wasnt complaining inside my head till about 2:30 when they had me tuckered out and they werent showing signs of tiring still.
The boys were even Marty Stewarts & made homemade cinnamon roles. Here they are before they went in the oven:

So just when I am totally tuckered out and aching for a break - it was time to take these treats out of the oven:

While the boys munched their treat . . . I called my dear friend to swap a Parker for a Darla. Once the swap was complete I initiated "involuntary nap time". This 24 hour playdate was a clear reminder I am old. . . OLD!!!

1 comment:

Tubo Family said...

Wowza! Sounds like wonderful memories and a call for a 24 hour nap. My boys would love that jumping game.