Monday, November 23

Random Recollections 1

Something new lately is Elijah coming home with love notes from all sorts of girls, and stories about how so&so wont quit chasing him on recess when he just wants to play basketball, etc. Big sister Darla has been trying to run interference for him. Oh the drama! So today Elijah's on the phone w/ his friend "joe" who offered Elijah advice to make this problem go away:
"Joe": Elijah I have a trick to make the girls not like you. Ive tried it & it really really works good! Ive done it. This trick works!
Elijah: Really? What is the trick? (his face is happy & serious with big curious eyes)
"joe": I just started coloring really really bad.
Elijah: Are you serious? They leave you alone because you color bad?
"joe": Yes the girls dont like me anymore now.
Elijah: That's awesome!

Darla was wearing a bracelet made out of linking paperclips. Weird. Totally forgot about that till I saw it on her wrist. I did the same thing as a child. Then she was singing this song to the exact same tune as "Im a barbie girl - in a barbie world - Im fantastic . . . " Well all thru-out the day Alan kept slipping up singing the new version. And then when he would catch himself jokingly hollar "Darla!!!!" And she would laugh & say "Told ya! It gets stuck in your head, doesnt it pa?"

Darla & I finish having this deep discussion about mother-daughter relationships (another future post) & I realize "Wow Darla, your 9! Half your childhood is over?" (I seriously realized it as Im saying it.) Double check my math, ya 18 you are considered an adult I explain. Darla & I both sit stunned a bit. I get a teary eye & explain "Boy I better start teaching you more things, like how to cook!" and chuckle. Darla's face gets really serious & glossy eyed.... I semi-panic, oh no, maybe that was not parenting 101 of me to say to her?! ..... And I ask her "Honey what is wrong?" . . .
Darla: "I dont want to grow up! (pause) It will be too stressful with 4 kids!"
I remind her at 18 what her life options could be etc., & no at 18 its not "Poof-out of the house & suprise 4 kids waiting for you in your new home!" Once she understood... she was laughing & wanted me to tell papa the funny thing she said.

By the way I hope I never forget the way Elijah says "Peanut butter & jelly" (emphasis on the extreme pronounciation of the word jelly). When he was younger he always called it peanut butter jelly and sandwich.

Darla called catsup K-PATCH for years . . . . and lovingly referred to her big brother as Pay-Pay. Nowadays its Payt, unless she's upset or dissapointed its Pay-TUN!!!

Will add Random Recollections 2 for our book end children Payton & Nolan soon.

No comments: