Tuesday, November 4

"Mom, 2 trees fell down in the yard!"

This is how I was woken this morning 90 minutes earlier than need be. I had already gotten up hours earlier to make Alan & Paytons lunches, then crept back in bed. I have a rotten cold virus, so does Payt & Nolan. But dear ol' Darla & Elijah woke way early & were insisting 2 trees fell down, the result of light wind all night. I have gone out investigating but still as of 1pm this afternoon have yet to locate the "downed trees". I think I will quit looking to be honest.
So like I mentioned 3 of us are feeling pretty crummy . . . . body aches, sinus' pressure, not fun.

On the brighter side of life . . . I received great news that the husband of one of my best friends has found a new job - praise God! AND my own husband, Alan finally got a full week of work in last week. He believes he has also secured 2 side jobs as well, happening in the next couple weeks. THANK YOU GOD! Alan's truck needs some repairs as well. (Not to mention the holidays)
Speaking of Holidays .. . . . we are on board for the handmade christmas. Alan & Nolan have already completed building a beautiful handmade wooden airplane for Elijah. Elijah & his papa have finished a wooden race car for Nolan. Nolan & Elijah have eachother's names for Christmas. Darla is sewing Payton something - and shhhhhhhh Payton is making Darla some one of a kind jewelry as her gift. Alan, if time allows, is building the 2 youngest boys wooden bunk beds for Christmas & refinishing & repairing a oval dressing mirror for Darla (which matches my antique bed & dresser she inherited). . . . . he is making Payton a locking chest which doubles as a bench/coffee table. I am trying my darn'dest to finish the cross stitch pillows for each of the kids. They are all in partially made form. Alan would die if I am able to pull off a king size quilt in his fav earthy tone colors. . . . . I hope to be able to, but our list is long . . . . we have 20 nieces & 20 nephews I have been sewing/knitting for . . . . not to mention our folks . . . . siblings . . . .

Well, today is Election Day . . . . looking forward to the news this late eve.

Oh! One more thing - - - ladies, how many of you do a monthly menu? I have attempted in the past - but this is the 1st time I have strictly adhered to . . . and it was created from taking a full inventory of all the odds & ends remaining in the pantry . . . and then writing a frugal shopping list to accompany those ingredients. My once a month grocery shopping took me to 5 stores this month and took 7 hours, but I saved so much money at one store it took a special over-ride & review of my receipt from store manager because I spent $92 but saved $97. I bought 24lbs of hamburger - which was on sale for $1.57 a lb. . . . over $2 per lb savings - plus because I spent $50 at that store on coupon items . . . I was able to use a special $10 off coupon, hidden in the This Week newspaper. It was a lot of work but the savings was insane this month and the menu delicious to the family. Only 1 night is a easy / cheating night . . . . cardboard pizza & salad. No eating out. Always packing lunches. Breakfast - I have insisted 1 box of cold cereal per week should suffice. We need to change it up - use less expensive oatmeal, pancakes, egg on toast etc., The kids prefer the variety anyways. But in our house - Alan & Payton especially can chow a box of cold cereal in a matter of days it seems.
Alright enough rambling, FOR NOW.. ..... hee hee Oh! Wait I lied - we are so excited to meet our niece Joy's lil' baby on the way. Sweet Baby James is due any day now. She is doing a home birth with midwives. Prayers for a smoothe delivery appreciated. Love to you all, Amy

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Hey Amy, been loving the recent posts! I sorry to hear that you guys aren't feeling well. We too have been fighting yucky stuff and unfortunately have had 2 sinus infections and 3 ear infections between us. I hope that your illness' run the course quickly!

I don't do a monthly menu but I do try to put a weekly menu plan together. My main goal when feeding my boys is to be at least 90 percent organic and to save money. I keep it simple, order in bulk the things that I can from places like Azure Standard and Bob's Red Mill. I found a place that I can get all natural organic loaves of bread for $1.50/loaf if I buy a dozen or more at a time. I've canned this year and make almost everything from scratch. I also order fresh produce from a local farm direct delivery every Thursday. I go to Fred Meyer's still but it's usually for milk and bananas. We raise our own meat chickens with a friend and get our all natural beef and pork from a farm in Monroe OR. It's more work than just going to the grocery store but it's worth it to me. So much for keeping it short. Feel free to email me anytime!