Thursday, October 23

Possible Change In Plans

Well since Nolan's Bday (8/31) falls on the actual cut off date for enrolling in kindergarden . . . he is THE YOUNGEST in his preschool class now. Since he isnt too hip about Mom leaving him at preschool for a couple hrs a couple days a week . . . . has had us thinking. Maybe just maybe Nolan can hold off & not start kindergarden next year. If we did this he would be 2 years behind Elijah in class as opposed to 1. Our game plan we are bouncing around is . . . . Mom homeschools Nolan w/ Beka curriculum (Christian based phonics program . . . . works AMAZING) this year. Come Fall if Nolan is bouncing off the walls ready for Kindergarden socially & academically that fine but there still may be more advantages to having him wait 1 more year. (a) Boys tend to mature slower (b) Size wise - being the youngest could = the smalles vs. waiting a year & growing. . . . . Another idea is starting a Christian preschool of my own up here on the Mtn. Since there is NO preschool on the Mtn with an actual curriculum. The one he is attending now is a co-op which means I am constantly working my buns off there, am on the Board, and then pay $95 a mos to watch Nolan play. The coop believes you learn thru creative play which YES I do get - but nothing wrong w/ throwing in a letter a week to learn & its phonetic sound, etc., The teacher of the coop doesnt seem to agree so several of us parents & board are discussing at the next board mtg. Uggh.

2 comments:

Tubo Family said...

Go for it! Both with the preschool home business and letting Nolan wait. My understanding is that the research shows that although parents might be flattered their child is youngest in class, the advantage in performance is to among the oldest in a class. And the boys ending up two years apart in school could be good for them each having their own identity at school, you know what I mean?

Have you heard of zoo phonics? Sean's school uses it, the kids seem to love it and it seems to be curriculum in a playful way. By the way his school is technically a daycare that is run as a preschool, i.e. set hours, field trips etc. Here is their website if you want to check it out. http://www.flowergardenpreschool.com/FlowerGardenPreschool.html

Lanelle said...

I'll be praying - this could be the step your family should take now; but its a big one (the business anyway) and will require communication, commitment, and patience...

Things we seem to run short of when our kids are 4 (or 11, I've noticed in my own life...)

Anyway, when I told you I home taught rachel, I had two other toddlers so we didn't use any real curriculum, but abeka is good stuff. We just read, I printed things for her to practice using a pencil/pen/colors, listened to lots of music, and took lots of walks. I'm a learn through life person too - esp at the preschool level. I taught one year of pre-k with mary and we did a lot of unit study type stuff; you know, combining science with math and reading (or drawing at pre-k!)

I still love that age group! So, its possible to do it and stay sane!